IMAGINE LIVING DIFFERENTLY,
LEARNING, CREATING, GROWING ....
WITHOUT SCHOOLING.


Thursday, 1 January 2015

Dollshouse on a Budget

My husband says it was a present for me really, and perhaps he is right. When asked what he would like for Christmas, our youngest son (who will be 3 in March) said, "A little house for my little people". He loves role playing with little characters ... Lego minifigures, Duplo men, Playmobil people. So I started to look around for a little house for him. I looked at Playmobil, but he is still too little really for all the tiny pieces. I looked at wooden houses, some of which are incredibly expensive, and the cheaper ones seemed to be very basic. Then I came across this one which I mail ordered from Toys R Us. I thought the price tag (around £30) was pretty good considering it had a proper opening front and came with some furniture, and a family of little people.



But I was inspired by the reviews and comments people had left, some of which showed how they had painted the dollshouse prior to assembling it. This is something I have always wanted to do, so I decided to paint and wallpaper the house ready to present on Christmas morning. It took a bit of effort, but I was pleased with the finished result. To buy a little house fully painted and decorated would have had a much higher price tag.

The house arrived in pieces, so by studying the instructions, I could see which piece would go where. I lightly sanded the pieces of the house which I wanted to paint, gave them one coat of primer / undercoat and then two coats of either white gloss or blue duracoat. I was a little limited by our budget right before Christmas, so I restricted the colours. We already had white gloss in our shed, and I managed to do the blue with just one tester pot of paint which cost about £1.50.



The wallpapers were downloaded from Jennifer's Printables where there is an amazing selection of wallpapers as well as brick, wood and tile designs. These can be downloaded and colour printed. I then cut them to size for the appropriate rooms, glued them into place with PVA and covered them with PVA to provide a varnished finish. I covered the floors of each room with a wooden flooring design too. Having prepared all the separate pieces, I was so pleased with the result when I put the house together ....



.... And on Christmas morning, I think our little boy was pretty delighted too! (I tried not to be too precious about it when he decided to add his own pencil design to the roof!)


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment